Familiarity with common malwares
What is Malware?
Malwares are codes or programs which does malicious acts on victim's system without his/her consent. Malwares are categorized in different names according to their behavior or goals. For example, those which request ransom in exchange of victim's data are called Ransomwares. Or those which have the ability to infect other systems via exploiting software vulnerabilities without users' interaction are called Worms.
In the below table, you can find about different kinds of malwares:
|Trojan||They describe themselves as normal programs or software.|
|Spyware||These would steal your data or spy on your activities|
|Rootkit||Rootkits are advanced malwares, their goals are staying in dark and not to be detected.|
|Botnet||Malware which create a network between themselves.|
|Ransomware||These will request a ransom in exchange with your information or data|
|Worm||Malware which have the ability to infect other systems remotely or without user interaction|
|Virus||Viruses are malicious codes which infect executables files and have the ability to infect other system by traveling with those files.|
According to damage malwares can cause to their victims, it is crucial to know different kinds of malwares and those which are rampant.
For this matter, we have gathered seen rampant malwares within our users' network in the table below:
|Virus and Botnet||Sality|
Also, We've seen Cell-Phone based malware as well:
Then what we can do to prevent from infection?
- Avoiding from opening or executing attachements in Spams or Suspecious emails
- Avoiding from entering suspecious websites or clicking unknown links
- Fight with Pop-ups using related Anti Pop-up plugins in your browser
- Keep your system and software up-to-date
- Avoid from enabling Macros in Microsoft Office Applications
- Use Anti-Virus and Firewalls and keeping them up-to-date
- Do not open or execute unkhown files without scanning it first
- Create backup from your sensitive or important files and data
- Heed to security concerns and do not give/use your personal information to/in unknown websites or personnel